MountZion Believers Church
Evangelist Blessing Nweke Baptism Coordinator
Baptism is an important step of obedience that shows others we have personally trusted Jesus for our salvation. When Christians are baptized, they are submerged under water to identify with the death and burial of Jesus and raised out of the water to identify with His resurrection. People often have questions regarding baptism: Why be baptized? Should I be baptized again?
*Please take a few minutes and read the facts about baptism.
WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Those who are baptized are following Jesus’ example and obeying His command.
* As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” —Matthew 3:16–17
* Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” —Matthew 28:18–20
WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF BAPTISM?
Water baptism is a public declaration of three very important things:
1. You are a follower of Jesus Christ. Those who accepted his message were baptized. —Acts 2:41
2. You are beginning a changed life in Christ. We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. —Romans 6:4
3. You are part of a new family. So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. —Galatians 3:26–27
WHY BE BAPTIZED BY IMMERSION?
Because Jesus was baptized that way. – “As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water.” –Matthew 3:16 Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion. – (Example) “…then both Philip and the man went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water…” –Acts 8:38-39 The word Baptize means “To dip under water”. The Greek word baptize means “to immerse or dip under water”. – baptism by immersion best symbolizes a burial and resurrection! The founders of church denominations agree: – Martin Luther… “I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the work imports and the mystery signifies.” – John Calvin… “The word ´baptize´ signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church.” – John Wesley… “Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church.”
I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED. SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED AGAIN?
Your baptism should have signified you becoming a follower of Jesus, beginning a changed life, and uniting with a new family. If your baptism did not reflect this change of life, then you should be baptized again.
WILL I HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING?
At the beginning of the service, our Pastor will briefly explain the meaning of baptism. You will wait in the water for your turn to be baptized. The Pastor will introduce you, briefly lower you just under the water, and then you can leave the water, dry off, and watch the others. Later you will receive your baptism certificate. We encourage you to invite all your relatives and friends to attend your baptism.
WHAT SHOULD I WEAR WHEN I AM BAPTIZED?
Women should wear shorts and a dark top or a swimsuit which will preserve modesty. Men may wear shorts and t-shirts or a swimsuit. Bring a change of clothes, a towel, and a plastic bag for your wet clothes.
CAN MY CHILD BE BAPTIZED?
We will baptize anyone who understands what baptism symbolizes and wants to make that personal public declaration. We encourage any parents to partner with our children and youth ministry to guide your children through these decisions of faith.
CAN MY INFANT BE BAPTIZED?
Throughout the New Testament, the Bible teaches that baptism is a public expression of worship symbolizing the new life we have when we follow Jesus. In the Bible we see that Jesus’ parents dedicated him to the Lord (Luke 2:22–40), and he was later baptized as an adult (Matthew 3:16–17).
We understand that some churches practice “baptism of confirmation” for children. This ceremony is intended to be a commitment between the parents and God on the behalf of the child. The parents promise to raise their child in the faith until the child is old enough to make his or her own personal confession of Christ. This custom began about 300 years after the Bible was completed and is different from the biblical examples of new believers being baptized to publicly profess their faith in Jesus.
So, at MountZion Believers Church we provide opportunities for child dedication in the sanctuary and, believer’s baptism by full water immersion at a lake. If you would like to schedule your child to be dedicated or like to be water baptized at a lakeside, please contact Blessing Nweke.